Tuesday, January 28, 2014

January "Stupidity" Report

28 January 2014; Grumpy's Castle --
It has been awhile since I have posted anything exciting [as if everything I post isn't exciting!], so I thought I ought to try to summarize all of the mischief up to which I have been, [aided and abetted by one kid brother!] since last I whined about other people -- mostly my descendants -- trying to dampen my enthusiasm for doing stupid things. Like driving to Mt Hood for breakfast on New Year's morning.

As previously reported, Uncle Bob [aka, kid brother] has been at the Castle since he and his bride [Adelaide] left the ski slopes in early January. As if I needed help in coming up with crazy -- let's call it like it is -- STUPID things to do, brother Bob is of great help in adding to and enhancing the fun of living "on the edge". That "edge", since last March 2013, now involves the Mooney. I sometimes refer to it as "our" airplane, although you should all know that it belongs to Bob -- except the cost of keeping it in the air with 100 octane low-lead fuel, and miscellaneous small parts and materials, while it is "home-ported" at Crest Airpark.

Typical mid-winter Seattle weather has kept us grounded much of the time. However, we managed a three-day excursion to the South a week or so ago. We flew to a fine airport* at Troutdale OR and rented "the smallest car" available [a four-door Ford F-150 pickup] at the airport, in which we drove up to spend two nights at Fort Bale.

At Fort Bale, besides being fed very generously with "Gourmet Food" ala "the Swede", we were also treated to a sound thrashing by the two Great Grandsons in lively games which they had acquired in recent Christmas and/or birthday celebrations. Restful sleep was afforded by both boys giving up their respective Queen-size beds to comfort we two "elderly" guests.
The third day, we drove from Fort Bale to Estacada OR where Granddaughter Amy, and husband John, lives with her five-boy, one girl flock. The two older boys (Malaki and Amos) were in school, so we missed seeing them. However, I got to hold my youngest Great Grandson Samuel and enjoy his cheerful demeanor.

Another treat was being welcomed by Great Granddaughter Elianna, who liked the fact that I had no beard -- as I had previously promised when I saw her last October near the end of our "Around the USA in the Mooney". Elianna pointed at my mustache as if to say, "How about that flea-infected briar patch?" However, when I questioned her about her opinion as to whether or not I should shave it off as well, she responded with a reassuring grin that "it was OK to remain".

At various times, this Great Grandfather got to hold more than one Great Grandchild at once. Since I enjoy the interplay with small children, I treasure each of these opportunities and look forward to them each time I visit one of my Grandchildrens' families.

The third day, we returned to Troutdale airport and flew back to Crest. Again, the East wind was brisk at Troutdale as we took off; this made for a quick lift into the air and a fast gain in altitude without much movement over the ground before we turned North for our homeport.

* The winds aloft were of no consequence on our flight from Crest to Troutdale. However, as we entered the "Columbia Gorge" area, a 25-35 knot wind [the wind velocity variation was due to gusts!] from the East greeted us and made for a sporty landing! I diminished the effect of the gusty conditions by making my approach and landing with minimal wing flaps and a higher than normal air speed. The head wind as I touched down resulted in a speed over the runway that was slower than normal. Taxiing up wind to the tie-down area involved a judicious control of airspeed during taxi so as not to take to the air again! A great experience!!

1 comment:

  1. amazing - but I TOTALLY understood the bit about the sporty landing.
    Usually I get a bit "lost" in airplane speak.

    Well told!

    ReplyDelete