1 July 2013; Sturgis in the wind --
One of my very good friends from my High School days is Roy A. He was missed yesterday from the Dupree Picnic and Reunion. Today Grumpy tracked him down.
Roy and I played basketball together in Dupree H.S. in the early '40's. He was about 6' 1" and I was about 6" even. A taller and much more skilled player was Dean V. at 6' 3" or 4", so Roy and I played forwards, often on the floor at the same time. I left Dupree in 1944 and moved to Philip where I became a member of the Scotties basketball team. One of our first preseason games was against Dupree; this was the first time that Roy and I played as opposing Centers. Philip won the game 13-12, as I recall; a very sloppy, poorly played game on the part of both teams.
Roy married the eldest daughter of my oldest cousin [Grumpy's second cousin?], so Roy and I sort of became related. Shirley died about 6 years ago, so both Roy and Grumpy have had to depend solely on our
own poor memories to get done what needs to be done -- and when it needs to be done.
Both Roy and I have "shrunk" some in our old ages [he is more than a year younger than I, but graduated the same year]. But he is still the gangly, easy-going Norskie that he was in High School. Some day we may both decide to grow up! Grumpy enjoyed seeing Roy again and looks forward to a few more get-togethers with him before each of us cash in our chips.

Relatives of the same generation with a common ancestor are: siblings, cousins, second cousins, third cousins, etc. If they are in a different generation, then they are "once removed" or "twice removed." So your first cousin's daughter would be your first cousin once removed.
ReplyDelete