5 July 2013; Around Rapid --
 |
| Ranch Headquarters on the Cottonwood |
This day was my cousin Bitsy's birthday. She entertained her brothers Larry E. and Jimmy E, and sister Kay E as well as Larry's and Jimmy's wives, and Grumpy. We all had a good visit together; Kay N. gave me a 8.5" by 11" colored photo of their ranch down on Cottonwood dated sometime in the early 1940's. It brought back fond memories for me, as I used to treasure the families' big get-together's (there were five of us kids, three or four Bailey's and at least seven kids in the host family that would be present!) when my Aunt Laura would host a huge three-family luncheon or dinner. As kids, we used to enjoy playing in the hay loft of the barn, or hiking along the creek that flowed just behind the house.


I finished off the day in Rapid, with a dinner and visit with Frances, Larry N., Kay N., and Gary & Cindy. Having failed to test my new water weapon on the intended and persistent "Victim", Grandson of Gary & Cindy, I was reduced to merely passing on, via his Great Grandma Frances and his Grandpa Gary, the
veiled damp threat that, "... just wait until next year!" I also disclosed, with the admonition to keep it a secret, the fact that I had "cold-soaked" the loaded water gun -- chock full of water! -- in the refrigerator overnight. Just in case!!
On my return trip to my cabin on Spearfish Creek, I got to witness this South Dakota sunset as the last day of this visit to my Cousins and friends in the Black Hills ended. Tomorrow I would begin my two-day journey back to Grumpy's Castle.
No comments:
Post a Comment