Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fourth of July Celebrations, and other happenings

4 July 2013; The Black Hills and Environs --
The day dawned early, with warm sunshine pouring in my window as I awoke at 0530 MDT, eager for the adventures of this day -- whatever they may be. First, before my breakfast of microwaved steel-cut oats and a cup of fresh-brewed black coffee, I took a short (half hour) walk up and down the bike/hiking trail that borders Spearfish Creek here in the city. 

The birds (Robins, mostly) that were out for their early morning worm entertained me with their wary walk and hop as they stayed on the sidewalk in front of me. Soon they decided a more determined method of evasion was in order as they flew into the welcoming branches of trail-side bushes or trees. Not being my "old self", when I could maintain about 2 miles per hour hiking uphill with a 30-pound backpack, I estimate that I covered at least one mile in my 30-minute walk.

After returning to my cabin, taking a shower and sitting down to eat my breakfast, I was attracted by the sound of thunder. Thunder, at 0700 in the morning?! That is characteristic of the thunderstorm activity over the ocean, but on land? What is going on here? Grumpy went outside to investigate; the clouds were zipping by from the Northwest, suggesting winds aloft at 5-8 thousand feet to be 40-60 miles per hour. I then surmised that the rapid movement of humid air (from where? -- had to be of Caribbean origin) rising against the North end of the Black Hills massif was what was causing the thunderstorm activity. Anyway, the damp coolness that accompanied this storm would be a welcome relief from the otherwise promised heat of this day.

And so, with my "water weapon of choice" covertly tucked under my arm, I proceeded off down the Interstate toward the fore-destined battle field; will I win this day, or lose again like in past years?

Well, I sort of won; I found out that the Famous Backyard BBQ had been cancelled, at least for this year, so no little Grandson and/or Granddaughter would be soaking me today. On the other hand, I definitely lost; the climax to my visit to SD on the 4th of July had been this backyard BBQ and the anticipated fun of exchanging water with these (and other) little kids -- and ultimately being gotten wet by their combined efforts.

So, my agenda for the day had to be drastically revised. First I called Emil & Irene, our old friends from McLaughlin; Woops! they don't live in Black Hawk any more! They are both in an assisted living home in South Rapid. So I stopped in to visit with them for an hour or so, until their lunch break was announced. We got caught up on the goings-on in both our families and Grumpy promised to come again next year to continue our visits.

Having the wrong telephone number for cousin Ethel, Grumpy decided to drive up to the retirement home which was nearby. I obtained Ethel's correct telephone number from the receptionist and told the receptionist to not bother Ethel as it was close to her lunch time; I would call later to see if she would like to go out to a light dinner with me. Despite my request to not bother Ethel, she was called and came to the lobby where we had a short visit before confirming a tentative dinner date for later that day.

Fossil of very early Bison ancestor
Modern Bison; same scale as ancient
With the whole afternoon to do something until the dinner date time came, Grumpy chose to spend it in the SDSM&T Museum of Geology & Paleontology.

Grumpy very much wishes that the youngest Grandson could have been here; the semi-precious gem displays, the mineral specimens and the fossil skeletons were things that Grumpy is sure he would have enjoyed. there was also a comprehensive display showing the evolution of the Bison, in which both Nancy Nurse and Hammerhead would have been interested.

Ethel and I met at about 1730 and went to a nearby Perkins restaurant where we each had tomato basil soup and a salad or sandwich. During our subsequent visit, we told about our respective families and Grumpy got to brag about his Grandchildren, Great Grandchildren and pending Great Great Grandchild.

After returning Ethel to her residence, Grumpy motored back up to Spearfish where he would sleep very soundly tonight to the trickling tune of the nearby creek.

2 comments:

  1. What happened to the younger generation of bison? They are small and feeble compared to their ancestors.

    I would think twice before setting foot on the same continent as those ancient ones. :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Small" is an OK adjective for modern bison, but believe me, if you are in the same squeeze-chute with a BABY BISON, you would realize that "feeble" is not part of their character!

      A two- or three-month old bison calf is more than twice as strong and durable as the same age old domestic Hereford or Holstein calf, although the domestic calf weighs two or three times as much as the bison calf. Bison calves weigh only about 35-40 pounds at birth; a Holstein calf will weigh 80-90 pounds.

      Delete