9 November; Sao Carlos --
One of the surprise attractions on a recent rainy night was the appearance of this brilliantly lit bug. While flying it had a "landing light" that shone forward and downward -- far more brilliant than the two "eyes" you see here. Uncle Bob knocked it out of the air as it circled an overhead light and we examined it in some detail.
Note below how you can see his headlights even in the presence of artificial light. Later, I took it to my room where I was told to watch and wait for it to again resume flying so I could observe (and photograph) its "landing light". As I watched, it walked across the floor -- from the bathroom where I had placed it when I entered -- in a beeline for the outside door. I had closed the door, but there was enough space under the door for it to easily go under and outside!
I grabbed a broom, which it seemed to "fall in love with" and got it back inside my room. I watched it as it moved about on the broom for several minutes -- until I fell asleep. Later in the night [don't ask why I was awakened!], there was no sign of the bug. I assume he escaped under the door again and flew off into the night to resume his pursuit -- of his "lady bug"?

Fantastic! I'd never heard of such a thing before.
ReplyDelete