Thursday, November 15, 2012

Concluding Saga of a Small Brazilian Dove -- Pt III

12 November; Adelaide's Casa --
As those who have been following this thread of Grumpy's adventures in Brazil, you may remember this story of the small-variety Brazilian dove that had made her nest under the roof of the carport at Adelaide's Casa. Grumpy has been attempting to provide a sequel of photos (and some video clips) of her progress in incubating and pledging her young.

Alas, when I looked out this morning, the nest appeared empty! Further, closer examination revealed that it was indeed empty. As I attempted to climb up on a pile of used tires, I detected a motion in the corner of my eyes. Investigation revealed a nearly full-grown chick! He seemed to be still feathered in what I would call "baby feathers"; he was not able to fly, although he definitely could scoot around on the carport deck in such a manner to make my attempt at rescuing him difficult.

Ultimately, I caught him and placed him back in his nest. But later, I found him again on the floor. I then gave him over to Marta, the tenant who lives in back of Adelaide and cares for her dogs and house when she is gone. Still later, I received news that the baby dove had died. A sad day for Grumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment