Sunday, June 28, 2009

Preparations for The Grand Mother's Arrival in Florida

Sunday in Florida; via Satellite from Florida --
As previously-planned, Son Ward (aka, Popeye, or "One-Eyed Jack") took Grumpy out to various local eateries specializing in seafood, Western music and other such debauchery (NOT including a certain "Hooters" restaurant and Pub). To shield the Grand Mother from the unpleasantry of having to smell Grumpy after he had sated his being with seafood for several days, the plan was to "purify" him in some way. Grumpy did not know what ol' Popeye had in mind though.

The "last supper" of seafood was Saturday night at Red Lobster, where Grumpy had his first feast of wood-fire grilled Grouper, that delicacy of the eastern sea coast and the Bahamas. It was delicious and the company (Peggie, Harry and Grandson Joe) delightful. That meal being over, Grumpy now had to face ... the Cleansing!!

First, ol' One Eye cornered Grumpy out into his back yard -- in plain view of all the neighbors -- in a rather uncompromising state of dress (see Figure 1, right). Next, One Eye "armed" his wife with the business-end (that is the nozzle!) of a garden hose attached to a nearby cold-water faucet. And I do mean COLD!!

Next, One Eye's wife Peggie, turned the cold-water garden hose on me!! (see Figure 2, left) I hadn't realized that the requisite Cleansing would involve cold water torture!
But, I had promised that I would be purified of fishy smells before the Grand Mother arrived, so I had no choice but to stand there and take it like a Man.

What a dutiful husband won't do for his nearly sixty-one year-old wife. Or is that, "his wife of nearly sixty-one years"? [I guess I never did too good in English!]

Thankfully, the trial of cold water was soon over, and Grumpy was able to towel off.

Was this any way for a guest to be treated who had traveled from so far away, thinking to enjoy Southern Hospitality?

What a way to spend a Florida afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. You just like to see an old man suffer, don't you!!?

    Especially if he is German.

    ReplyDelete