Monday, June 30, 2008

Summer 2008: Day 10, Reprise on Gas Mileage

Some of you may have become suspicious that Grumpy has been reluctant to talk about gas mileage because, after the first two fantastic numbers, he is no longer proud of the Red Rocket. In fact, I have gotten behind with my bookkeeping and therefore hadn't done any calculations until this morning. Let me assure you that, although she is dirty (from traveling too many miles on secondary -- or tertiary!-- roads and occasional rain drops, that the big 3.0 liter Honda engine is still turning out impressive (to Grumpy, for sure!) gasoline mileage! Of course, Grumpy is not about to make light of the fact that the Grand Mother (aka, First Wife) has played a critical (no pun intended!) role in the first place by asking me to drive slower on this trip!

The reader will recall the first two tanks -- 34.66 and 38.01 -- then the next, after considerable "town" driving in Mobridge SD, was 33.52. But the last two are 35.04 and 35.39. The overall, cumulative mileage therefore, is 35.346 mpg! I believe that this, based on five consecutive fill-ups and driving 2155 contiguous miles, is a solid, reliable number. Grumpy is going to keep the Red Rocket! [But I will quit bragging; I don't want anyone to start adding gasoline to the tank to trick me into boasting about impossible mileage figures, like the guy who owned an early VW "Bug"!!]

No comments:

Post a Comment