Today, the 30th of June, we had intended to have lunch with Grumpy's cousin, Marvin and Gaylene in Arnold Nebraska. Sadly, their daughter recently died rather unexpectedly so they are understandably occupied with other matters and our visit will have to wait for another time.
This post is from the great (little) city (town--pop. 1302) of Valentine Nebraska, where the First Wife and Grumpy had planned to spend our honeymoon night. Due to circumstances beyond our control, we fell (literally! -- dead tired at 2 o'clock in the morning of the 18th) into bed in Mission SD, about 33 miles from here. Why I didn't drive the extra 33 miles, I will never know.
Anyway, with much planning, and not a little malice aforethought, Grumpy arranged reservations for the Trade Winds motel ("Valentine's Finest!") for this leg of our return trip wandering around the Midwest this summer of 2008. We scouted the town from south to north (our historic route) and from east to west trying to see if any old memories were triggered.
Well, we had to take some photographs of the happy citizens who crossed it 60 years 12 days ago, and then recrossed it on their return trip from visiting Grandpa Zierlein, 60 years and 11 days ago. The Bride (aka, First Wife, alias the Grand Mother) stands near the approach to the southbound traffic.
A return trip was necessary now as it was then. Now the road simply blends into the new highway US-20 eastbound; then it was necessary for the Bride and Groom to hurry back to the Black Hills where they were employed at the Petrified Forest in Piedmont (north of Rapid City).
We celebrated this nostalgic return with a delicious dinner at Cedar Canyon Steak House, in downtown Valentine. The First Wife had her favorite, prime rib, and Grumpy growled down a "medium-well" filet mignon, which was actually what I would call "medium rare"!! The menu told what their definitions were, and I asked for the medium well, but got just about what I wanted -- it could have had the branding iron held on it a little longer. It bellowed mildly when I poked my fork into it.

No comments:
Post a Comment