Well, the truth has finally come out. It has been a rude awakening for the senior member (aka, Grumpy Z) of this reknowned clan known as "the Zimmerman's".
It happened last Sunday evening. The Grand Mother and Grumpy enjoyed a delightful Chinese dinner (family style) in the company of our friends, Margaret M., Dwight & Donna, and Joy & Rolf. After dinner and some visiting, we retired to the local "performing arts center" where we would see a narrated video presentation of "The Gulf Coast".
As the Grand Mother, Margaret M. and Grumpy were getting out of the car, Grumpy (ever the thoughtful escort of the Great & Famous Cooker of Lemon Meringue Pies) suggested that she could use his cane to steady her walk, since she had forgotten to bring her own from home. The Grand Mother demurred, saying that "a cane must be just right for the stature of the person using it", or words to that effect. Then she continued with the words that shall be forever etched into Grumpy's memory (at least until a day or two goes by!): "I shall have you to lean on; you are better than nothing!"
Indeed, now I know where I stand: I'm "better than nothing". Well, I guess that is an improvement over one of the alternatives, "worthless" -- or "worth less". I dunno. First, I get no sympathy or understanding from my Sons or Grandsons, nor any compassion regarding the non-LMP life sentence to which I have been condemned. Then this. I'm so confused right now that I think I'll just post this and see what kind of comment traffic it attracts.
It happened last Sunday evening. The Grand Mother and Grumpy enjoyed a delightful Chinese dinner (family style) in the company of our friends, Margaret M., Dwight & Donna, and Joy & Rolf. After dinner and some visiting, we retired to the local "performing arts center" where we would see a narrated video presentation of "The Gulf Coast".
As the Grand Mother, Margaret M. and Grumpy were getting out of the car, Grumpy (ever the thoughtful escort of the Great & Famous Cooker of Lemon Meringue Pies) suggested that she could use his cane to steady her walk, since she had forgotten to bring her own from home. The Grand Mother demurred, saying that "a cane must be just right for the stature of the person using it", or words to that effect. Then she continued with the words that shall be forever etched into Grumpy's memory (at least until a day or two goes by!): "I shall have you to lean on; you are better than nothing!"
Indeed, now I know where I stand: I'm "better than nothing". Well, I guess that is an improvement over one of the alternatives, "worthless" -- or "worth less". I dunno. First, I get no sympathy or understanding from my Sons or Grandsons, nor any compassion regarding the non-LMP life sentence to which I have been condemned. Then this. I'm so confused right now that I think I'll just post this and see what kind of comment traffic it attracts.

It sounds like you were also almost directly considered better than a cane, which is something.
ReplyDeleteAnd, far from having no sympathy, you have an enormous amount of love from your sons and grandsons, albeit, in the "tough" form. :)
Grumpy, you do not "hear" correctly so you make assumptions and relate erroneous information. In trying to keep a much too long, unsteady cane from causing great difficulties, I caught hold of your rapidly disappearing body and said, "I'd prefer to hold on to your arm." I further informed you that you were better than nothing (to hold) as a great compliment to your ability to offer assistance. Being misunderstood, falsly accused of a "put-down" rather than the positive statement it was, gives such a serious emotional condition, I will be unable to do anything in the line of cooking delicacies for an undefined period of time.
ReplyDeleteIs there a difference between "undefined" and "infinite"? Theoretically, yes, but practically, no.
ReplyDeleteBeing used as a cane is better than being abused by a cane.
Grmpy's "hearing" problem is long-standing; methinks it evolved from maybe being too sure of himself and taking the Grand Mother for granted. Now, the Grand Mother should acknowledge a certain amount of complicity in this "taking for granted". To wit: Who was it that "always" got up in the early morning and fixed Grumpy his hot breakfast and cup of coffee before sending him off to garner in the wages that provided for the family? Who was it that "always" waited at the kitchen door to welcome Grumpy home with a warm hug and kiss after his arduous day slaving at the "kite factory"?
ReplyDeleteAfter 50-some years of being treated like the "KING" of the castle, what is Grumpy to expect other than a continuation of that regal treatment? (Did I mention those scrumptious Lemon Meringue Pies for which Grumpy has "always" hungered, and about which, on numerous occasions he has bragged of the incomparable flavor therein instilled by the loving fingers of the Grand Mother?)
So, although Grumpy makes light of the Grand Mother's comment about him being "better than nothing", let it be known that he acknowledges with pride, the love and affection intended for that lucky man whom she married, incorporated into that expression of trust and confidence. In context, the phrase really meant that, while the Grand Mother dissented from borrowing Grumpy's cane, she wanted it known that having nothing was not as acceptable as having Grumpy's arm to lean on as we walked together.
With great love and affection for the First Wife, from the Great Grumpy Z.
Dear James and Bop-op,
ReplyDeleteIt is always good to hear from my descendants, especially when they attempt to put me in better light than I usually put myself.
As you both must realize, I knew all along that the Grand Mother meant that I was better than a borrowed cane. And that she preferred my arm more than even her own, custom-fit cane. Yet, Grumpy can never seem to keep his comic(?) thoughts to himself at what are at the time, really tender moments. Thus I inadvertently caused hurt to the very one to whom I would least want to hurt.
As to the meaning of "indefinite" rather than "infinite" time delay before another LMP arrives, I can only surmise that the days/weeks/months/years that will pass between now and LMP time (if ever) will depend on how well Grumpy maintains his "cool" when trying to be "funny".