Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Problems: Computer- and Offspring-caused

Tuesday started out with great promise: DHL delivered a new DELL laptop which I found laying on the kitchen table when the Grand Mother and I returned from her regular Tuesday bone-crunching session at the local Chiropractor. The laptop is for Adolfo and I had promised him that I would download some useful application software into it before he took permanent possession.

The first step was to connect to my secure wireless home network. I found a couple of 26-digit WPA passcodes, one of which I was pretty sure was the right one. Alas, neither would pass the router's security exam! Well, no problem I thought; just open up the router utility and get the right passcode. "Now what is my 'username' and 'password' for the router utility??" Well, I "lucked out" on that one and, after two or six tries managed to conjure up the right set. But then a blank wall!! Eeek!! Not the right menu showed! In fact NO menu showed.

Finally Grumpy called the Maryland Ward to get a refresher course on what I needed to do. This was somewhat of a risk, because it turns out that MW is getting old and forgetful (I think he has inherited this from his Mother's side of the family) and can't remember where he put HIS user's manuals either. But
, despite having a guest from Spokane WA in his house, at least he was willing to try to find his documents or consult someone who knew the solution to my dilemma.

In the meantime, Grumpy delved into various settings on the Big Daddy computer (the "Master Computer" on the secure network) and found that a security setting needed to be relaxed before the router utility would work. Voila! The utility was accessed and the passcode for adding Adolfo's laptop to the network was found and Grumpy was in business.

Later that evening, Grumpy called
(at Grumpy's long-distance expense!) the Maryland Ward to tell him that I appreciated his efforts and to assure him that the problem was solved. I also apologized to him for interrupting his visit with his friend. Was MW appreciative of my courtesy call? Heck NO!! Instead, he said "Good, now I can sit down and eat the rest of those Lemon Meringue Pies that Peggie baked for us tonight!"

Now, there are only two people in this world who love Lemon Meringue Pies as much as I do: Maryland Ward and the local elementary school Gym Teacher, Mr. McAbee. MW did not have to bring up the subject of the LMP to which he had access; LMP for which there was no competition present to prevent his slowly savoring of this heavenly elixir; LMP, which he knew in his black little heart, that the Grand Mother will not bake
for Grumpy until two years short of never!

I ask the Readers of this BLOG: How cruel is it that my own flesh and blood would flaunt something like that
in my face; I mean, if he had been close enough so I could have wrestled him to the floor and tickled the stuffings out of him, or if the Lemon Meringue Pies, which were the subject of his flaunting, had been close enough that Grumpy could have had fair access to them in competing for their disappearance ---.

No comments:

Post a Comment