Sunday, November 11, 2007

More, Bigger Computer Problems!!

Well, it seems that, like my Tee-shirt that Ray and Sabrina gave me for my birthday says, "No matter what I do, I just get in trouble!"

However, the trouble I am in this time is not with the Grand Mother -- my computer "blew up" yesterday; I was peaceably working away on it making good progress, when oliver sodden a flash and loud Z-zz-a-app!! And the screen went black and all activity of the computer went dead.
I think the power supply shorted out. At least I hope it's nothing more than that. I examined the PC boards and saw no dark brown areas, indicative of overheating and shorting. The smell of the electrical stuff having been fried was definitely coming from the computer case.
Now I'm just waiting for a response from my computer hardware geek back in MD to advise me on my next step.
Enough of the mis-steps, already!!

3 comments:

  1. Got Mac?

    Now I am gonna jinx myself.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you let the smoke get out of your PC. You're not supposed to let that smoke out, or your PC will quit working.

    This has been a known issue since early days of DOS, and I've heard there is a way to stop it: by adding the command "NOSMOKE.EXE" into your AutoExec.bat file. If that doesn't work, you're supposed to contact Microsoft and ask them for an upgrade to the NOSMOKE.EXE program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DARN!!
    I should have known about letting the smoke escape. I worked around Electronickers for most of my career at Boeing, so there is no excuse. I know they told me that dozens of times!!

    As for Lief jinxing himself with his MacDonald's laptop; don't worry, Lief. It was assembled by Sony and they are a good brand, even if they associate with the likes of MacDonald's.

    ReplyDelete