I have been in Brazil now almost a week, and just now have my photographs accessible to the Win98 machine available to post to my Blog. I will attempt to attach a few today and then add more later as I become more adept at understanding the instructions on this computer, all of which are in Portuguese!
The first photo I want to share is the best one we have of Angel Falls. It is not a very good one because the Falls face southeast and we were there in the afternoon so the falls are in the shade, but you can make out the spray of water seemingly eminating from the side of the cliff ; that is how it really is!
Apparently, the river which feeds the falls has found a crack in the rock on top of the Tepui (mesa, second photo) and during low flows (when we were there) finds its way out of the side of the cliff. The total drop of the falls is about 3200 feet.
I will try to put more of my pictures on the blog another day.
I will try to put more of my pictures on the blog another day.

Alright! Glad you found it! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
ReplyDeleteThese pictures look like they were taken through a Plexiglass window. It would have been better if you would have pulled off to the side of the road, turned off the engine, rolled down the window and taken the picture like a normal photographer.
ReplyDeleteActually, Plexiglass-shrouded photos of Angel Falls are better than no photos of Angel Falls. Congratulations on finding them, and especially being able to photograph them. Your photos show the terrain much better than any other photos I've seen in the past, and they show the crack you described in the text.
Out of curiosity, did you find the falls at the correct GPS coordinates?
I believe the Falls are about a half mile further east than advertised; I´ll have to review the plot of our flight path as we swooped and dodged around above that canyon. Believe it or not, Uncle Bob was plotting on the Air chart, our flight path over the ground via GPS the whole time! It is a fascinating detail. Come to think of it, I think I´ll get a photo of that plot and provide it in another posting!
ReplyDelete