Monday, August 6, 2012

Ward's July Wandering, Last Half [Part Two]

8 July to 16 July; The Return Trip West --

SUNDAY, Day Eleven; We visit Cousins Harry and Edythe: I met Cousin Bill at the AMTRAK station in Osceola IA. The return trip West would include places that Bill and I both wanted to go and people to visit, as well as some that he particularly wanted to visit and/or see, and one long-time friend, Dyllis in WY whose husband died earlier this year, and whom I had promised I would stop to visit on my way West.

Our first two stops were still in Iowa, to visit Cousin Harry, who was in the Veteran's hospital near Des Moines; then on the Lohrville to visit Cousin Edythe [96 this year and still very agile!]. This brother and sister pair were some of the dear people that Mother and I had been visiting each of the past several years on our annual Midwest Auto Tours. We were happy to learn that Cousin Harry is nearly recovered and should be discharged from the hospital as this is being written. 
After getting confused by hearing two different sets of directions; one from my passenger and the other from "Greta" my trusty Garmin GPS, and thus getting temporarily lost in Sioux City, we drove on to Mitchell SD for the night. TOTAL MILES FOR TODAY: 179.5

MONDAY, Day Twelve; Finding Sweet-Clover Honey and Exploring Old Places:  Our first stop for today was in Belvedere, a near-ghost town along I-90 just East of Kadoka SD. Here Bill had made contacts with some people who harvest what Grumpy thinks is the best-tasting honey in the whole world: that made in Western SD from Yellow Sweet Clover. I brought home a gallon of pure, never-heated, unfiltered Yellow Sweet Clover Honey. [I was told that one disadvantage of this raw honey is that it tends to crystallize more quickly than "pasteurized" honey. [Now why would anyone need to "pasteurize" honey? Pure honey is antiseptic -- nothing harmful to man can live in it!!] And further, Grumpy considers "sugared" honey to be more flavorful than the liquid variety!! So I figured I won both ways with my gallon of honey.

After buying our "year's-worth" of honey, Bill and I drove up to Midland, and the Nowlin cemetery where Mother's parents' graves are, and where the graves of the Kunkle Grandparents of Bill's and hers are located. Later we stopped at the Philip cemetery where my parents' graves are located. TOTAL MILES FOR TODAY: 493.9

TUESDAY, Day Thirteen, More Exploring: We stayed in Philip for a couple of nights; my hometown for my Senior year in High School, and where Bill was headquartered for a few years when he was a SD State Highway Patrolman. During one of my morning walks around town, I spied this "wagon train" each loaded with various kinds of flowers -- but mostly "Moss Rose" [Portulaca Grandiflora]. TOTAL MILES FOR TODAY: 2.2

WEDNESDAY, Day Fourteen; Two Nephews and a Grand Nephew:  On the way to Rapid City, Bill and I had to challenge the Wall Drug on their advertised "VETERANS!! Free Cup of Coffee and Doughnut". We also enjoyed the western motif in the cafeteria area where memorabilia and numerous West River brands were displayed on the walls.

When I had been in Rapid over the 4th, I hadn't been too concerned about having missed seeing my Nephew Larry, as I knew that I would be returning when Bill was with me. Sure enough, we were able to have lunch with Larry and his Mother Frances, then Larry arranged for his Son Cory (our Grand Nephew) to show us the 911 Dispatch Center where he works.

Later when Gary got off work, we were able to have an early dinner with him before we left for our night's lodging in Hot Springs. TOTAL MILES FOR TODAY: 172.0

THURSDAY, Day Fifteen; Consoling an Old Friend:  Mother and I have known the Goses since we lived as neighbors in Belle Fourche SD in 195o-51. Neil was the equipment maintenance repairman for Peter Kiewit & Sons, a large construction company then doing a major road-building project in Spearfish Canyon; their older daughter, charming, blonde and brown-eyed Adele, was the inspiration for the middle name of our first daughter. Unfortunately, Adele contracted some kind of cancer and passed away at a fairly young age several years ago.

When I returned from viewing the Sandhill Cranes this past Spring, I heard the message on my phone machine that Neil had passed away; I called Dyllis right away and promised I would stop to see her this Summer -- just as Mother and I had been visiting them each of the past several years. Dyllis is virtually blind but is still as cheerful and hospitable as ever; their younger daughter and husband are living with her and helping her with her needs. TOTAL MILES FOR TODAY:  350.2

FRIDAY, Day Sixteen; Through the Tetons and into Idaho:   As we entered Grand Teton National Park, we were treated to this panorama of the Tetons, with Le Grande Teton standing tall among the tall. Uncle Bob and I flew into this valley (Jackson's Hole) a few years ago, and then defying the advice of a Cessna pilot who landed at almost the same time as we had, we took off heading North (toward "high" country) and, relishing in the excellent performance of the Mooney M-20, were able to climb above these peaks and then turn Westward toward our ultimate destination Seattle.

After going through Pocatello and along the Snake River, we reached Burley ID where we snacked on a beans and rice burrito and slept the night. TOTAL MILES FOR TODAY: 382.5

SATURDAY, Day Seventeen; Into and across Oregon -- Bill is Home!:  After a complementary breakfast at the nearby Perkins restaurant in Burley, we ventured forth crossing the Snake River for the seventh time (since entering Idaho) into Oregon. [Bill seemed to be especially happy to be back in Oregon as he took this photo of the "Welcome to Oregon" sign.] We held off our lunch appetites until we arrived in Burns OR [this town might well have earned its name by how hot it can get on a mid-July day!].

This day we had planned to stay the night in Bend or Sisters OR. However Grumpy neglected to "plan ahead" and phone for reservations. That might have made a difference, but maybe not; both towns were teeming with weekend visitors when we got there about five in the afternoon, many of whom probably came up to escape the hot weather "down in the lowlands". At any rate, after stopping at four or five motels and getting the same answer, "No Vacancy", the driver finally made the decision to go another two or two and a half hours to get to Bill's home.  TOTAL MILES FOR TODAY: 612.4



SUNDAY, Day Eighteen; Another Visit at Fort Bale:   What Grumpy expected to be another Great visit with two Great Grandsons turned out to be another Great visit including a Lemon Meringue Pie -- and a Certain Great Grandson (A.) who will still not share "his" Lemon Meringue Pie recipe with his Great Grandpa Z.
[And maybe he is even becoming unwilling to share the "other pie" with his Great Grandpa!!

 Oh well, the food seemed to be cooked with the same care and deliciousness as if Swedish royalty had been there, so Grumpy didn't suffer too much. [Except for the now-mandatory Swedish teasing, that is!]

Before Grumpy could relax after such sumptuous feasting however, J. brought out the geode which he and Great Grandpa had been slowly chipping away at to open it up and reveal its hidden jewelry. Success at last! J.'s patience paid off!! The geode broke open exactly along the line along which he and his Great Grandpa had been chipping.

Later, J. innovated with some back-lighting to show this scene on the left. TOTAL MILES TODAY:  142.4

MONDAY, Day Nineteen: After a short trip up to Centralia and back to pick up a Cousin who would be staying after Grumpy left Fort Bale, he made his way on North; And so Grumpy's Auto Tour 2012 came to an end with his safe arrival back at home. TOTAL MILES TODAY:  316.0

TOTAL MILES ON THIS LAST HALF:  2,651.1
TOTAL MILES ON THIS SUMMER AUTO TOUR: 4873.4

More adventures are sure to follow. Also, please check Grumpy's Grumblings for information on this trip about gas mileage, motel shortcomings and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment