Monday, April 16, 2012

What in the World is Grumpy Doing Now?

April up to tax-day 2012; In and Around the Sound --
I will just try to hit a few of the highlights of the various things I have done and places I have gone since getting back home from my travels out-of-State. Notice that I have dated this "April", rather than pinning it down to a specific day or days. My selfish reasoning is that I will probably not take the time to make multiple postings this month anyway; for one thing, I am not doing much that others may find interesting and for another, I am getting lazier in my old age to take the time to sit down and write many words.

Upon arriving back home, Grumpy was reminded that this was the school "Spring Vacation". Hence, the Grandson was visiting his Papa and Grumpy could be free to go visit at Fort Bale. After securing assurance that I would be welcome, Great Grandson A. suggested to his Mother (my favorite Swede) that she make a Lemon Meringue Pie for the occasion.
    [Side Note: Ques: How and where did A. get a recipe for LMP? 
    Ans: He had asked his Great Grandmother who replied, "Well, A., since you asked, I will give it to you!" (Grumpy had asked and pleaded many times! How come she never gave it to him?).]
Anyway, the results, shown in this photo do not do justice to the delectable taste of that delicious Lemon Meringue Pie. Grumpy can attest that it was the "real McCoy", with two notable differences: 1. The flavor of "free range" chicken eggs is different than "store-bought", and, 2. Grumpy did not get a stomach ache --- because he got to eat only two pieces instead of the whole pie.

The first Saturday, I rode with friend John M to Mt. Vernon WA to attend a luncheon get-together with SDSM&T alumni. Enroute to the site of the luncheon, John and I viewed some eye-dazzling daffodil fields.

We had a good visit with those who attended and look forward to more in the near future. One of the couples included a retired Boeingite with whom I graduated over half a century ago. John and I met them for berry pie and ice cream after the luncheon. Vernon (EE'50) was also a friend of brother Bob.

During the next week, Grumpy undertook the onerous task of stripping all of the old wax off of our kitchen floor. Not having his expert/housewife available any more to consult on the "formula" and/or most successful methods to use for such a task, he was reduced to his Boeing and college-days duty of doing "research and development" to find the best way or ways. Here is a summary of what he discovered:

  1. Soap and hot water, with much "elbow grease":  Pretty much useless!!
  2. Spic & Span liquid cleanser, with much "elbow grease": See 1.) above.
  3. Spic & Span powder cleanser, with much "elbow grease": better than 2.) above.
  4. Hot water and Ammonia, with much "elbow grease": Very effective at clearing the sinuses; but promising -- especially after a period of "soaking".
  5. Pure Ammonia covered with a plastic sheet and left to stand for an hour: Eureka!! [Also, much kinder to the nose and eyes.]
Here are the before and after pictures, using method/formula #5 ("BEFORE" is on the left; "AFTER" is on the right).

Now, as soon as Grumpy completes the cleaning of the kitchen floor, he is thinking about replacing the faucet in the Master bathroom. [Perhaps he should post that in his "Grumbling" BLOG?]

The second Saturday Grumpy, accompanied by Margaret M., drove up to WWU to hear Granddaughter Rachel play her final piano performance before she graduates. On the way we toured the daffodil and tulip fields, finding this stunning view of Grumpy's favorite color. None of the vast acreages of single-color tulips could be found; evidently the tulips are later this year due to our cooler or wetter Spring weather.

Stay tuned for what happens to me after Tax Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment