Sunday, July 12, 2009

Another Bucket of Berries

In the Garden Again; Grumpy's Castle Grounds, WA--

The next afternoon, after Grumpy picked about 3/4 of the row of Raspberries (see Yesterday's post of Friday's activities), Grumpy again ventured forth into the thorny subject of picking Red Raspberries. Starting at the end of the row that didn't get completed Friday morning, Grumpy continued further down the row and up the backside next to the fence. He was surprised to find so many ripe Raspberries on those vines he had already picked over only 30 hours before! Instead of getting about 1/3 to 1/2 of a bucketful, Grumpy found nearly a full bucket of berries!! Notice at right in the photo, some of what was left of Friday's Raspberry pie that the Grand Mother made from the first picking.

One of the interesting items Grumpy found was a double Raspberry, pictured here close-up. The white core, which remained on the vine, consisted of two cores oriented nearly opposite one another. I have never seen such a "Siamese Twin" occurrence in a Raspberry before -- or any other kind of fruit either. The equivalent in a peach, for example, would be a double-lobed fruit with two pits located near the middle of each lobe; or an apple, similarly double-lobed in shape, with two seed cores located near the center of each lobe.

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmy! I love berry season. I don't have any raspberries yet, and you got me thinking I should plant some. Enjoy your "healthy" pie!

    ReplyDelete