Monday, March 30, 2009

Sandhill Crane Viewing; A Surprise Meeting

Rowe Sanctuary near Gibbon NE --

After an early supper in nearby Kearney, we arrived at the Sanctuary headquarters in time for walking out to our blind at about 6:30 pm. As I had inquired about the possibility of purchasing something, such as a lifetime viewing membership or an individual gift viewing permit, I was introduced to the new director of the Sanctuary, Bill Taddicken. I briefed him of my interest in providing an opportunity for people, such as my late sister Donagene Bell, to witness the sights and sounds of the Sandhill Cranes.

Although he had not been at the Sanctuary at the time three years ago, when Donagene had made her visit to see the Cranes before she died a few days later, Bill was familiar with the story of the terminally-ill lady who had wanted to "see" the Cranes one last time. He mentioned that another volunteer and/or staff member had written an article describing his encounter with Donagene, helping her out to the blind, using a golf cart and wheel chair, and ensuring that she had a comfortable place to sit at a viewing window while she listened to the Cranes and heard her sister's description of what was to be seen. Bill promised that he would try to find a copy of the article that had been written, for us to take with us when we came the following morning.

When we returned from the blind the following morning, we were met by Director Taddicken who surprised us by introducing us to the author of the article, Alan Bartels. Mr. Bartels is a Contributing Writer/Photographer for Nebraska Life magazine. True to his promise, Bill Taddicken had found copies of the article (one for Hazel and one for me). I shall strive to provide access, by some link on this BLOG, for those interested in reading this touching story.

Meeting the author of the story and hearing his personal feelings (some of which he also handwrote at the end of the copies, thinking he wouldn't get to see us in person), were experiences that made this visit to the Rowe Sanctuary extra special for me -- a memory to my dear older sister Donagene who loved the Sandhill Cranes so much that she endured with virtually her dying strength to make a last visit to see and hear them. Hazel said that Donagene uttered these words, "I won't be here to see them next year, but they will be here for as long as there is a River!" To insure that Donagene's vision will endure, Hazel and I have each made memorial contributions in her name to the Rowe Sanctuary. I will pursue additional ways, as I mentioned at the beginning of this post, to afford the opportunity for others not as fortunate as I, to view the Sandhill Cranes at this unique site.

4 comments:

  1. This is great stuff Grandpa. I'm really glad you posted it.

    I would like to go see the Cranes sometime. Your post reassures me that there populations are healthy. And, with the story about Donagene, I'll feel an extra connection with the birds when I get to see them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, I would love to be able to read a copy of that article about Aunt Donagene. Your account of the sandhill cranes is fascinating and capturing my animal-lovers soul! Thank you for the wonderful descriptions. It seems lonely for it to have ended, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will see what I can do about making the article available. I would like the handwritten comments by Alan Bartel to be part of it, too.

    Perhaps I can scan it and attach it to an e-mail as an image, or include it as a "special" posting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James: The Sandhill Crane population has never been threatened, although one must conclude that allowing hunting in Nebraska might cause irreparable harm to their future, since this large population "funnels" through a very narrow gap (about 100 miles wide) to do this annual stopover on the Platte River. This stop is critical for them as a "refueling" and rest stop on their long, long journey to their summer nesting sites.

    We should all give thanks to Nebraska for wisely deciding to protect the birds while they are at this critical and vulnerable stopover!

    ReplyDelete