Monday, after being praised lavishly by the Grand Mother for Grumpy having driven up to the Sunnyside Farms and the great day we had, said Grumpy succumbed to yet another soft request from (Soft, of course!) the Grand Mother to "take Margaret Mitchell out to lunch". So, after a short telephone call to insure that she was home and would welcome a break in her usual routine, we drove out to Pantera Lago to find the Mitchell Lady sitting on her porch apparently eager to "get the show on the road!"
We had no particular place in mind when we set out, but the Grand Mother suggested a place called "The Windmill" which our friend Joy Maust had been to and had recommended. "It's in Enumclaw someplace", was the directions given to the driver, the Great Grumpy Z.
We had a delightful drive out highway 169 with its persistent views of Mt Rainier most of the way. As you may remember, Monday was one of those days when you know that it is Summer, so you better enjoy it!
The Grand Mother imposed one of her usual requirements: "Stop in Enumclaw and ask for directions". So I did.
"I dunno. I never heard of it," was one reply. Another (a native Enumclawian) opined, "I think it is in Sumner!"
Anyway, we found the place, "The Windmill Gardens" in the middle of the residential district in the eastern part of Sumner. We had a great lunch and reminisced on the scenic drive to get here. We then enjoyed a leisurely stroll around the grounds looking at the great variety of flowers, shrubs and trees. There is also a nursery at the rear of the property where you can buy some of the plants. As usual, Grumpy forgot to put his camera in the car, so there are no documented evidence to show you this time. Better luck next time!
The Great Grumpy has agreed to take Sokhaly and the Grand Mother to Windmill Gardens for lunch in the next week or so. I think I know a short cut to get there. But it depends on whether or not Mt Rainier is out or not.
We had no particular place in mind when we set out, but the Grand Mother suggested a place called "The Windmill" which our friend Joy Maust had been to and had recommended. "It's in Enumclaw someplace", was the directions given to the driver, the Great Grumpy Z.
We had a delightful drive out highway 169 with its persistent views of Mt Rainier most of the way. As you may remember, Monday was one of those days when you know that it is Summer, so you better enjoy it!
The Grand Mother imposed one of her usual requirements: "Stop in Enumclaw and ask for directions". So I did.
"I dunno. I never heard of it," was one reply. Another (a native Enumclawian) opined, "I think it is in Sumner!"
Anyway, we found the place, "The Windmill Gardens" in the middle of the residential district in the eastern part of Sumner. We had a great lunch and reminisced on the scenic drive to get here. We then enjoyed a leisurely stroll around the grounds looking at the great variety of flowers, shrubs and trees. There is also a nursery at the rear of the property where you can buy some of the plants. As usual, Grumpy forgot to put his camera in the car, so there are no documented evidence to show you this time. Better luck next time!
The Great Grumpy has agreed to take Sokhaly and the Grand Mother to Windmill Gardens for lunch in the next week or so. I think I know a short cut to get there. But it depends on whether or not Mt Rainier is out or not.

Hi,
ReplyDeleteI don't know how to comment on your blog so here is the REAL scoop!
To respond to your comments about the directions I gave you to the Windmill, Kenny Maust once told me he enjoyed some of the most interesting and/or exciting trips with me when I was "lost". We always eventually reached our destination and discovered we had found new places we wanted to explore more at some later time.
So I am happy to have been able to share one of those special trips with you and Marg. Thanks again for finally stopping for directions.
your first wife
Dear First Wife,
ReplyDeleteIt is perhaps a little confusing to the casual readers of this BLOG to read your version of "Kenny Maust ..... enjoyed some of the most interesting and/or exciting trips with me when I was "lost"".
You failed to mention that his wife, Joy, was also along; you further failed to mention that I, the Great Grumpy, was NOT present because I had to slave away at the Great Kite Factory [hereinafter, the GKF] in order to further our goals of enabling retirement before death.
Had I been along, we certainly would NOT have been lost.
You also failed to mention the number of detours you encountered during these drives with our mutual friends. I think that would have been interesting.