26 September 2012; Grumpy's Castle --
In previous Post on this BLOG Grumpy has gushed about his new companion, Cheeper, the Black Star Sex-link chick. I became so involved with her care -- plus my own upkeep -- that I have been remiss in keeping my public advised as to her -- and my -- progress. This post will at least try to bring my readers up to date on Miss Cheeper. [Yes, she is no longer a baby chick; she is developing -- as you will soon see -- into a quite dainty young lady .. er, I mean Pullet.]
First, I want to give you some perspective as to how much she has grown. Here she sits -- on top of my camera with which I was trying to take her portrait! -- and at about two months old. She is about the same size as my camera, a "standard" size digital SLR. [And yes, I know that the photo appears reversed -- it was taken via the reflection in a mirror!]
Finally, this last photo shows her "well-developed bosom [Actually, this is the profile of the configuration of her feathers that cover her quite-full "crop". [Crop: a sort of "first stomach" located at the bottom end of their gullet and on the front side of all fowls -- birds -- where their food is temporarily stored prior to being routed through the gizzard where it is ground up by the muscular action of the gizzard pressing against the contents composed of the food plus small stones that are also ingested for this purpose.]
She still comes to me when I call her, but she has become suspicious of my ulterior motives -- she doesn't like to be picked up or handled ... or even "touched"! [Acts just like other females with which I have had experience!] So I have started having some treats in my hand so that she gets a reward when she complies with my invitation. [Another similarity?]
Currently, while Grumpy is on his fishing Safari, Cheeper is residing at Fort Bale under the doting care of her original owner and chicken-coddler. Plans are for Cheeper to be gradually integrated into the Fort Bale flock of free-ranging chickens. It is anticipated that Cheeper may begin her egg-laying career before Grumpy returns. Grumpy has requested a Lemon Meringue Pie made using Cheeper's first four eggs. [I can only hope that Cheeper won't be so thoroughly spoiled during her stay at Fort Bale that she won't want to have anything to do with Grumpy again.]

No comments:
Post a Comment