Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Untold Story About the Birth of Son Number Two; A Sequel

Long Ago and Far Away; Today's Memories --

It is kinda funny the way different people -- even different people who have lived together for over sixty years! -- have differing memories about the same subject. The case in point is the recent post in this BLOG about the hair-raising experience of a young and fairly inexperienced father-to-be delivering (ahem!) his young, and also fairly inexperienced, wife to the maternity home just in time.

A certain "Anonymous" commented that, in that BLOG posting, the author had subtracted a full 12 months from the normal human gestation period. That's funny because Grumpy happens to know that Anonymous wasn't even there when the events described took place! Anyway, being relatively clever with the modern replacement for the old Underwood, Grumpy made this important correction before any more eagle-eyed readers took him to task.

Another reader (none other than Grumpy's long-time companion and LMP baker -- hint! hint!) commented -- privately -- that no mention was made of passing an oncoming car on a narrow bridge on the way to the maternity home. She further alleged that this scary incident, caused by me, resulted in the hastening of her labor pains -- and then she added, "I'm thankful; I was ready to have that baby!!"

Well, about that supposed narrow bridge, as was implied in the original version, the Daddy was pretty much set on getting to the maternity home on time, and if that meant exceeding the speed of birth, then that was what he was going to do; as for "narrow" bridges -- well when flying that low, they just looked wide enough, whether the oncoming driver -- or the pregnant passenger -- thought so or not. Obviously, the bridge was wide enough to accommodate both vehicles for the fraction of a second it took to pass (closing speed may have been in excess of 120 mph; ~50 plus ~70-80).

Now, before I end this sequel, I must admit to a bit of devious thought in conjunction with the previous post on this subject: I wanted to include a black and white photo of this quick addition to our family. But, not finding one in my digital file, I seriously considered putting this one in instead:
I was sure that no one could argue with me that the appearance (especially the  sky-blue eyes and wild blonde hair!) is similar, as you can perceive by looking at this one on the left. 





But, not wanting to deceive anyone (heh! heh!) I thought maybe this one (below) would be a fitting memento of what a great son he turned out to be:
Well, the Grand Mother thought this one was pretty good, too. That's why I am ending this sequel with this memorable photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment