First Day of Summer; Grumpy's Castle --
I guess I haven't been as boastful about the Upside-Down tomatoes as I was last year. Perhaps that is because of the rather poor results experienced last year. So this year by waiting a month or so, a little boastful documentation may be in order.
The first photo shows the row of four (the fourth one, Sun Gold) is partially hidden behind the third plant on the right (Fantastic).
Each variety planted this year is characterized by a unique purpose or growth tendency. Early Girl, shown here, is prized as producing the earliest crop, especially on this the Wet Side of the Cascades.
The Beefsteak variety is one I picked up from Carpinito's; the Grand Mother and I bought some of these tomatoes late last Summer and liked their flavor and firmness. One slice covered a whole slice of bread for a Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich.
Fantastic is the Grand Mother's favorite tomato. She used to buy a hundred pounds or so of this variety from a farmer near Wenatchee every Summer to can (when she was younger!).
This last tomato, Sun Gold, is a "cherry" type. When ripe it is yellow-gold in color. Last year one of these shared a planter with another variety of cherry tomato. My experience last year, fortified by me examination of the soil removed from the upside-down planters last Fall, convinced me that one tomato plant needs all of the soil, nourishment and water that one planter can provide. This is contrary to the promotional advertising for these planters that "two tomatoes can grow in each planter!" Sure, "two tomato plants can grow ...", but I now believe that only one can succeed!
As the reader may discern, plenty of promise in the form of many flowers showing on each plant. When Grumpy and the Grand Mother return from their well-deserved trip in Mid-July, we will be looking forward to some fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes!

No comments:
Post a Comment