As my grown "kids" all admit (if they are honest), when they were in grade school or Junior High, and their Dad (today, known as "Grumpy") asked them cheerily, "What did you learn in school today?" their universal and unalterable answer was, "Nothing!" (or, more phonetically, "Nuttin!"). If the reader thinks this is an anomaly that only took place in the Zimmerfamily, then I challenge you to ask the same question of your 7-14 year-old child/grandchild/great-grandchild.
Now, as most readers know, our soon-to-be 13 year old grandson Ramiro, pictured above, has stayed with us during his school years, attending the local elementary and middle school where our grown kids and a couple of our grandsons also attended in their day. This youngest grandson is not inclined to being a wallflower when it comes to volunteering to appear on TV. So, it is with great pride and pleasure that I invite the reader to click on the following weblink to view Ramiro's moment in the limelight: http://www.komotv.com/news/18670854.html?video=YHI&t=a
You will have to "put up with" a short commercial message and then the video clip comes on. Ramiro's interview answer appears near the end of the clip.
We had received a phone call from a close friend, who was watching the 4 o'clock news yesterday, that she thought she saw Ramiro. She called us, but by then it was too late. Ramiro got home a few minutes later and we asked him about what went on at school today. (for his answer, see discussion in paragraph one above.) Further prodding, encouraged the following responses:
Ramiro OK then, but you're going to have to let me tell it my way, OK?
G&G OK
R Do you want me to start from the beginning?
G&G OK
R OK. Well, I awoke at 6:30 and asked Grandma to fix me some French toast. Then ....
G&G Wait a minute! We mean, 'start at what happened this afternoon'.
R (Grinning fiendishly.) OK. Well, we were sitting in Language Arts class, see, and this girl said to me, she said, "Did you see the note from Mrs X that says you are to come to the Library?" (I thought to myself, "What did I do now? What kind of trouble am I in now?")
G&G Yes, yes. Go on!Adolfo So, you got in trouble again, huh!?
R Shush!! You have to let me tell the story my way. Now be quiet!!
G&G OK. Go on.
R Well, when I got to the library, it was everybody from the Computer class. And then they asked for volunteers to be interviewed. So I raised my hand!
G&G What question did they ask you?A Yeah. What did they ask you?
R Shush!!! If you don't be quiet and let me tell the story my way, I won't tell you anything!
A OK.
G&G OK.
R Well, they interviewed this other kid and then they interviewed me, and then they interviewed another kid and I just stood there and listened and then this lady told me to come over there and I said, "But I have already been interviewed!", but she said it didn't matter, so I got interviewed twice!
A Si, si!! What question did they ask you?G&G Yeah, what did they ask you?
R OK. That's it!! You guys keep interrupting, so I'm not going to tell you; you'll just have to find out for yourself!
And so it was, as we rode home from a not-so-quiet Cinco de Maya dinner at La Fuente, that there were regrets muttered by the adult passengers and driver that the 6 o'clock TV news cast wasn't being recorded so we could find out the answers to our questions -- what question did they ask of Ramiro; how did he answer? Alas, we were too late to hear the beginning of the six oclock news and the one who endured wakefulness to watch the 11 o'clock news (the Grand Mother!) reported this morning that it wasn't on at 11.
But, thanks to Grumpy; he ventured to find it on the INTERNET, and the aforementioned link is proof of his success. Hope you enjoyed it.

No comments:
Post a Comment