
A visit for Christmas by Uncle Bob has become a "tradition". But you can perhaps imagine the shock imparted to the Great Grumpy by the appearance of his little brother sporting this handsome beard! Now, not everyone thought this set of chin whiskers was good; for example, the first thing Aunt Adelaide said to me when we met as they got off the airplane at SEATAC was, "Tell him to shave it off!"
Well, sorry to say, I couldn't agree with her assessment. I
could feel very jealous, however. I had never thought of my beard as being particularly handsome --
distinguished perhaps, but not
handsome.

So, I am asking the readers to judge for yourselves: which of these two bearded gentlemen appear, 1.) Most handsome, and, 2.) Most distinguished.
Remember whose Children and Grandchildren -- and Great Grandchildren you are!
Just for good measure, I am going to try to find a photograph of the Older Brother sporting his beard, so you all can compare all three of these gentlemen with their facial hair. That will have to be for a later post, however.


In closing, I include this candid photograph showing the "shocked" look on the Grand Mother's face as she sees Uncle Bob for the first time with a beard. Notice the genuine look of surprise registered on her face evident in the inset photo. I had to introduce her.
I don't know if I could be divisive enough to judge between two brothers, but I'm certainly unctuous enough to suggest alternate judging categories such as:
ReplyDeleteMost Unusual
Bushiest
Well, I should have expected such non-commitance from my Grandsons; after all, none of you would stick up for your poor old Grumpy Z when Lemon Meringue Pie was at stake.
ReplyDeleteHowever, your suggestion for some more intricate categories bears some merit. OK, how about adding a third category: Most loveable.
Maybe I should have made that, "Most kissable" (for female readers only).
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't kiss anyone with hair on the face which probably contains moldy, uneaten foods of all sorts and who knows what else may reside in there! Which is more valuable? -- a bushy face or the slightest possibility of lemon pie, peanut-butter pecan pie and maybe some unknown, soon-to-be favorite delicacy? Of course to qualify for any goodies, the character assination of my grandsons must cease forever and ever!
ReplyDelete"... character assination ..."
ReplyDeleteNow that's an affront to my good judgement! I should have noticed this before I "published" it, I guess. However, my usual agreeableness overcame my feeling that I should trust the Grand Mother to say only endearing and kind things of her Old Grumpy Husband of nearly 60 years.
And what in the world gave her the idea that Grumpy might be thinking of cultivating a beautiful, long grey beard?!? Certainly NOT!!!
Besides, my beard never, never had moldy or uneaten foods or other debris in it.
ReplyDeleteI always ate everything that was left over, bugs and all.
By the way, Grand Mother, I'll take you up on that "... some unknown, soon-to-be favorite delicacy ... ", whatever it is. After all, I've survived the first bride's biscuits, as well as additional "first" by my daughters when they got married and invited us over for their own first-cooked meal. So I am up to being the experimental tester for whatever you wish to prepare and serve me.
[Did I say anything wrong here??!]
It's bad enough that you degrade the Grand Mother's early cooking, but when you attack her two, very capable, daughters that does it!.
ReplyDeleteRuth could bake an apple pie, with no help, by the time she was six -- and later won the State Fair prize for her apple pie.
Susan was capable of preparing meals when still in grade school. So I feel that you, Grumpy, have not suffered enough. Therefore, the next delicacy will be a Lima Bean Raisin casserole. bon appetite!